We swear by a good shirt, and by good we mean one that is timeless and fits well. While every man struggles to strike the right balance between for and function when it comes to clothing, we bring you 6 shirts that you must most certainly be spending your money on –
1. A Classic White Shirt – Crisp, classic, and elegant, a white shirt makes for one of the most versatile options in a man’s clothing rack. From deep blue denims, to khakis to formal black trousers, a white shirt has the potential to transform itself every time you wear it. We swear by one in Egyptian cotton since it’s suitable for most occasions.
2. A Linen Shirt – Linen defines understated luxury – it’s sturdy yet lends a certain fluidity to the shirt. It’s breathable and makes for a great summer staple. It gives the wearer a timeless appeal. Mostly available in deep solids or light pastels, we suggest getting yourself one in a light-ish blue. Team it with denims for a casual look or dress it up with a summer jacket while pairing it with chinos.
3. A Plaid Shirt – A classic checkered pattern, plaids are one thing you can never go wrong with. They look tough but are easy on the eyes for almost everyday wear. Best worn with khakis or chinos, we suggest you pick one in flannel (woven fabric in light wool). It’s suitable for all weathers and makes for a great casual wear option.
4. A Black Shirt – Need we say more? Okay, maybe – a black shirt transcends seasons and trends. It’s minimal but speaks volumes if it fits you well. Whether you’re looking to keep things casual with a pair of denims or go sharp by teaming it with an all black suit, the styling options with this one are infinite. We’d pick one in cotton satin, since it’s airy but still looks rich.
5. A Striped Shirt – Stripes elongate your body and sharpen your look. When it comes to this linear print, stick to a shirt in a classic white and navy combo. Wear it with a pair of grey trousers or under a navy suit, and see how it takes you places.
6. A Denim Shirt – Yes, you read that right – denims don’t only have to be worn as bottom wear. Open your minds to wearing this classic fabric as a shirt. It makes for a slick desk-to-drinks option. Team it with a pair of denim bottoms for the day and add on a light summer jacket (in a shade darker than your shirt) to elevate you look at night. We highly recommend picking a shirt that’s made in light, fluid denim.
Not so complicated, right?
These six shirts can give you a classic wardrobe with minimal effort and a whole lot of function. So, invest in your pieces wisely.